Friday, April 24, 2009

Chatter

I definitely remember G's first word... mama... and the ones that subsequently followed like "uh oh" and "dada". But then, it became impossible to follow. He was learning new words, some I don't even know where they came from, at an incredible rate. We knew we had something of a genius on our hands when, while in Mexico, he could even say "gracias" and "hola" to the staff at the hotel. And all this before he was even 18 months old.

What really shocked me was the day we were walking up the stairs to take a bath. He was 17 months old, and had been saying quite a few words. As we walked up the stairs, I was counting each one. "One, two, three, four..." when I got to five, G just jumped right in... "five, six, seben, eight, nine, TEN!" with such an emphasis on the last word you would have though he won the lottery. I was speechless. I didn't know he even knew those words, let alone how to count them in that order! We hurried to get the video camera, but of course, shy guy didn't want to do it as well as he did on the stairs.

He surprised me again last night during dinner. I try to get him to eat veggies, even though he usually spits them right back out. I tried to coax him into a piece of a nice soft green veggie, when he pulled it out of his mouth and said "zucchini". It stopped me in my tracks. I hadn't said it to him, maybe in passing at some point, but he just remembered, associated, and said it. It was then that I looked at my husband and said "how much do we have saved for private school?"

No comments:

Post a Comment