Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Mommy & Me time


My husband is out of town for a few days for work, so the mornings/evenings are just "Mommy & Me" time. I treasure this time, even though I definitely miss my husband, and there are a few things I've noticed in our time together.

- G (most of the time) seems to go easier on us when we are on our own. This goes for my hubby too when I'm out of town. He seems to eat better dinner, easier getting a bath and jammies on, and just overall less struggles. This makes me wonder - when we are both here is it that there's so much attention that he just does what he wants? Or does he realize we are on our own, so he's trying to make it a little easier for us?

- It's hard to remember all the cute things he does! When I'm out of town, I love hearing at the end of the day all the cute things that G has done while I've been gone. So I try to do the same for hubby, but then when I'm talking to him on the phone, I forget! Maybe it's because he does too many cute things (hehe), or maybe it's because I'm losing my mind. I need to start writing these down.

- Being a single parent full time would be incredibly hard. Because I work full time, and have a wonderful husband to share parenting with, I don't think I've fully understood the challenges of a full time single parent. When I'm "on my own" for a couple days, it does remind me how lucky I am to have someone to share the responsibility, someone to watch over him so I can take a shower (or go to the bathroom in peace), or help cook dinner. I definitely have a ton of respect for single parents.

- I love getting 100% of G's attention, and I eat up every second. I don't get to spend as much time with him as I'd like, so these times when I get one on one time with him - I treasure. It's just us. We can eat ice cream if we want. We can watch Caillou if we want (even though I BEG him to watch something else). We can snuggle on the bed for an hour and read 10 books if we want. Or we can run around in circles in the room if we want. I love it. I was tempted to let him sleep in bed with me... but I knew that would just cause problems upon's B's return. So I put him in his own room.

I know a lot of SAHM's get a ton of 1:1 time with their kiddos, and probably read this and say "duh". But... bear with me... I am still learning. :) What else should I be cherishing with our 1:1 time?

(and look at me, I uploaded a photo!)

3 comments:

  1. I can relate...I'm on my own this week too and it's really nice having our special time together. I let him sleep with me when Scott's out of town, I just can't help it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know... I am a SAHM this year, and yet I still treasure any time we're totally alone together, because it does feel a bit different. I'm with you on the huge respect for single parents! My brother-in-law travels most of the year for work, and my sister definitely has a harder time than I do getting in that personal time. Sounds like you're cherishing everything you can!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorite times with L is at the end of the day after daddy and E have gone downstairs. We just lay in the dark and she gets everything off her chest for the day. She's still talking about the pumpkin farm we went to 2 months ago. :)

    I finally suggested to Andy that he turn on the monitor to hear what she has to say. It's usually very sweet, perceptive and funny. That's my favorite time 1:1 with her.

    ReplyDelete